Posts for tag: Braces
Braces from your dentist in Northwest Houston, TX, can make your smile healthier
Braces don’t just make your teeth straight. They also make your smile healthier, and a healthy mouth improves your overall health too. Dr. Brent Browning of Browning Smile Design in Northwest Houston, TX, offers a wide variety of general dentistry and orthodontic services, to improve your smile.
Did you know when your smile is healthy, it decreases your risk of acquiring serious diseases? According to the Mayo Clinic, when your mouth is healthy, it helps decrease your risk of:
- Having a stroke
- Becoming diabetic
- Acquiring heart disease
- Developing Alzheimer’s disease
So, now that you know how your body can benefit from a straight smile, let’s talk about how your oral health can benefit from braces:
When your teeth are straightened with orthodontic treatment it will:
- Make your teeth easier to clean with brushing and flossing
- Lower your risk of developing gum and periodontal disease because your straight teeth will stay cleaner
- Lower your risk of tooth decay which can decrease your chances of needing fillings or crowns later on
- Keep you from wearing down your teeth due to a bad bite, which can decrease your chances of needing expensive tooth restorations later on
- Lower your chances of needing root canal therapy
- Help prevent damage to your jaw joint, known as your TMJ, which in turn helps prevent headaches, earaches, jaw, and facial pain associated with TMJ problems
Braces aren't just for teenagers. Adults can benefit from a straight smile too. You can choose from a variety of options for your braces, including:
- Ceramic brackets and tooth-colored or clear wires
- Lingual brackets and wires, which are cemented on to the back surfaces of your teeth
- Metal brackets and metal wires
You can also choose clear plastic aligners, which are the most discreet orthodontic option
To find out more about how orthodontic treatment can improve the health of your smile, call Dr. Browning of Browning Smile Design in Northwest Houston, TX, at (281) 370-4300 now!
Do you desire a straight, healthy smile either for your child or even yourself? At Browning Smile Design, Dr. Brent Browning serves patients in the Northwest Houston area with a wide array of dental services, including orthodontic braces. Learn about types of braces and the many benefits of orthodontic correction.
Braces are for everybody
While children should be evaluated for braces by age seven, teens and adults also can wear today's amazing variety of orthodontic appliances. In his Northwest Houston office, Dr. Browning offers conventional braces (metal, ceramic or lingual) and clear Invisalign aligners.
An in-office evaluation help Dr. Browning outline your specific treatment needs. Typical care plans take two years; however, Invisalign treatment of mild to moderate issues in teens and adults can finish in about a year.
Whatever appliances you wear, your dentist will follow your progress throughout. You'll carefully maintain your oral hygiene and eat a tooth-friendly, low-sugar diet for best results.
Benefits of braces
Braces offer several psychological and health benefits. The obvious one is improved self-confidence due to improved personal appearance. This aspect of orthodontic correction helps people of all ages.
Additionally, braces give patients numerous health benefits, including:
- Well-aligned teeth which are easier to clean, thus avoiding decay and gum disease
- Biomechanical balance, or properly-aligned dental bite, which affects tooth wear, biting, chewing and jaw function/comfort
- Proper tooth eruption and jaw development
- Improved speech, biting, and chewing
- Less tooth chipping, fracture and excessive wear and tear
- Fewer impacted adult teeth
- Reduction or elimination of bruxism (habitual teeth clenching and grinding)
What are your smile goals?
At Browning Smile Design in Northwest Houston, Dr. Brent Browning and his professional team change smiles and lives. If you believe your teeth could benefit from orthodontic care, come see us. We'll show you what's possible and most beneficial for your oral health and overall well-being. Contact us at (281) 370-4300.
Your Northwest Houston, TX, dentist Dr. Brent Browning can help provide you with a great smile. Braces can help fix misaligned teeth by adding light pressure onto teeth to move them into their proper position.
Ceramic Braces: Clear ceramic braces are less noticeable. Ceramic braces are composed of the same parts as traditional braces with the exception of the front side of brackets being translucent. To ensure your treatment gives you optimal solutions, make sure to wear a mouth guard if you're playing a sport, don't skip your dentist's appointments to ensure braces are adjusted properly and that there's no hardened plaque buildup on teeth and/or around gums.
Metal Braces: They're made of high-grade stainless steel and are the most commonly used orthodontic appliance. They have a thin, spring-like metal wire running through the brackets that guided teeth into their proper position.
Invisalign Clear Braces: Clear braces gently move teeth into their proper position. Your Northwest Houston dentist orders a series of custom aligner trays. You'll need to wear the clear aligners 20 to 22 hours per day. You can take them off when brushing and flossing your teeth, and to also clean the aligners themselves. You can take your braces off during special events, like weddings, job interviews, or any other casual party, but that's unnecessary since no one can see them. The clear plastic aligners are made of polyurethane plastic, which means they're flexible and great for straightening teeth discreetly.
Caring for Braces:
- Avoid eating certain foods, such as popcorn.
- Floss and brush your teeth after every meal, and make sure your child changes his or her toothbrush every 3 months or when the bristles are worn out, or frayed
- Make sure to wear a mouth guard if you're playing a sport.
- Consider fluoride-containing products, like mouthwash and toothpaste.
- Drink plenty of water to wash away food debris.
If you have any questions or concerns about orthodontics, don't hesitate to call your Northwest Houston, TX, dentist, Dr. Brent Browning, at (281) 370-4300.
Braces fix bad bites and malocclusions, crooked or crowded teeth, by applying pressure on each tooth to put them into their proper position. Earlier treatment has its perks, but adults can use braces as well.
Dental issues mentioned above usually begin at 6 and 12 years of age, but orthodontic treatment usually begins around 8 to 14 years of age, because children's bone structure is still developing.
The exact duration of treatment varies from one person to another but may last up to 3 years. The braces move your child's teeth into their proper positions and, after your child no longer needs to wear braces, they will need to wear a retainer so their teeth don't shift back into their crooked positions.
Your Northwest Houston dentist can treat adults as well. No one is too old for braces. They work the same as for children. Braces add light pressure to teeth to move them into their proper position. There is a bigger risk of gum disease in adults though, so visit your doctor on a regular basis.
To ensure your treatment gives you optimal solutions, make sure to wear a mouth guard if you're playing a sport, don't skip your dentist's appointment to ensure braces are adjusted properly and that there's no hardened plaque on teeth and/or around gums.
Also, try avoiding certain foods, such as popcorn, corn, or sticky foods, floss and brush your teeth after every meal, and make sure you change your toothbrush every three months or when bristles are frayed.
After treatment, wearing a retainer will help maintain the position of your teeth. You should continue brushing and flossing, but consider fluoride-containing products, like mouthwash, toothpaste and drinking water, and visit your doctor for professional cleanings.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding child or adult orthodontic treatment, then call your Northwest Houston, TX, dentist Dr. Brent Browning at (281) 370-4300.
Are your teeth crooked? Braces offer an effective way to improve your smile and your oral health. Our Northwest Houston, TX, dentist, Dr. Brent Browning, explains how you can benefit from orthodontic treatment and discusses several popular types of braces.
How can braces help my smile?
Braces improve the alignment of your teeth, eliminating bite problems and improving your appearance. No matter what type of braces you choose, the fundamentals are the same. Braces exert constant, gentle pressure on your teeth, which helps move them into the proper position.
Orthodontic treatment improves the way your teeth look but also corrects bite problems that can cause jaw pain, temporomandibular joint disorder, headaches, chewing problems and abnormal wear on your teeth. They're also effective in relieving crowding and closing gaps between teeth.
What types of braces are available?
Depending on the severity of your orthodontic issue and your preferences, one or more of these types of braces may be recommended:
- Metal Braces: This time-tested option is very effective in correcting alignment issues. The position of your teeth changes when wires threaded through metal brackets are adjusted at regular intervals. Although metal braces do an excellent job of correcting mild to severe orthodontic problems, some people find them unattractive.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces use clear or tooth-colored brackets paired with metal or clear wires. Ceramic braces are less obvious but not quite as durable as metal braces.
- Clear Braces: Clear braces have become a popular choice in Northwest Houston in recent years. They use a series of clear, removable aligner trays that fit over the top and bottom teeth. Each set of trays in the series is worn for two weeks before being replaced with a new set. Clear braces are removed for eating and oral hygiene and can even be taken out occasionally for special events. They're very effective in treating mild to moderate orthodontic issues, but aren't a good choice if you have a more complicated problem.
Improve your smile with orthodontic treatment. If you're interested in straightening your teeth with braces, call our Northwest Houston, TX, dentist, Dr. Browning, at (281) 370-4300 to schedule an appointment.