Braces fix bad bites and malocclusions, crooked or crowded teeth, by applying pressure on each tooth to put them into their proper position. Earlier treatment has its perks, but adults can use braces as well.
Dental issues mentioned above usually begin at 6 and 12 years of age, but orthodontic treatment usually begins around 8 to 14 years of age, because children's bone structure is still developing.
The exact duration of treatment varies from one person to another but may last up to 3 years. The braces move your child's teeth into their proper positions and, after your child no longer needs to wear braces, they will need to wear a retainer so their teeth don't shift back into their crooked positions.
Your Northwest Houston dentist can treat adults as well. No one is too old for braces. They work the same as for children. Braces add light pressure to teeth to move them into their proper position. There is a bigger risk of gum disease in adults though, so visit your doctor on a regular basis.
To ensure your treatment gives you optimal solutions, make sure to wear a mouth guard if you're playing a sport, don't skip your dentist's appointment to ensure braces are adjusted properly and that there's no hardened plaque on teeth and/or around gums.
Also, try avoiding certain foods, such as popcorn, corn, or sticky foods, floss and brush your teeth after every meal, and make sure you change your toothbrush every three months or when bristles are frayed.
After treatment, wearing a retainer will help maintain the position of your teeth. You should continue brushing and flossing, but consider fluoride-containing products, like mouthwash, toothpaste and drinking water, and visit your doctor for professional cleanings.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding child or adult orthodontic treatment, then call your Northwest Houston, TX, dentist Dr. Brent Browning at (281) 370-4300.
Improving the appearance of your smile can be a life-changing step. However, with the influx of cosmetic dentistry options available, you may have trouble choosing the best treatments for you. Luckily, you can decide on the perfect treatment plan with help from your dentist. Find out more about cosmetic dentistry options available and how they can help your smile with Dr. Brent Browning at Browning Smile Design in Northwest Houston, TX.
Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures in Northwest Houston
- Crowns and Bridges: Dental crowns and bridges replace your missing teeth and allow your damaged natural teeth to remain in your mouth where they belong. A bridge does as its name implies and bridges the gap caused by a missing tooth. A crown covers a tooth to protect it from future damage and stabilize a large filling, often due to a root canal.
- Veneers: Dental veneers fit over the surface of a tooth to change its appearance, masking its imperfections and giving you the possibility to change the length, width, or shape of your tooth. Veneers can also change the color of your tooth, giving you a total smile makeover in just a few dental appointments.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are the most natural, effective, and functional option for replacing your missing teeth. These permanent implants give you the freedom to eat what you want, use a simple care routine of brushing and flossing without any extra steps, and look great, too.
- Zoom! Teeth Whitening: Zoom! teeth whitening uses a short whitening procedure to provide big results, brightening your smile and giving your teeth a whiter appearance in just 40-60 minutes. Your dentist places whitening gel on the teeth and aims a special light at the gel to help in the whitening process. After about an hour, the gel comes off and you are left with a whiter smile you can feel proud of.
A new smile could be just a simple phone call away. For more information on cosmetic dentistry or choosing a cosmetic procedure, please contact Dr. Browning at Browning Smile Design in Northwest Houston, TX. Call (281) 370-4300 to schedule your appointment for a cosmetic dentistry consultation with Dr. Browning today!
As a cosmetic dentist, Dr. Brent Browning takes great interest in enhancing the smiles of people from the Northwest Houston area. Offering everything from complex smile makeovers to simple teeth whitening, Dr. Browning applies true artistic skill in all his aesthetic treatments. His cosmetic contouring reshapes teeth which have minor, but distracting, flaws such as chips, cracks and pits. It just may be the aesthetic service your smile needs, and Browning Smile Design can deliver it.
What gets noticed?
Your smile does, says the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. This group of highly skilled dentists maintains that the appearance of your smile projects a particular image to the world--either attractive, friendly and confident or well, not so much. Also, your self-confidence suffers if you're too embarrassed to smile because of crookedness, gaps, stains and other detractors.
Cosmetic dentistry can change your smile image for the better. Consider, for example, cosmetic contouring. It takes just one visit to your Northwest Houston cosmetic dentist. Plus, it's comfortable and economical. Best of all, it reshapes:
- Uneven tooth length
- Dental bite (to make it healthier and more comfortable)
- Chipped tooth edges
- Pitted teeth
- Worn or overly pointed tooth edges
- Mild overcrowding
How it works
Your Northwest Houston cosmetic dentist will carefully examine smile elements such as width, how much gum tissue shows, and more. He'll recommend changes to enhance your teeth and gums so they look completely natural only more complimentary.
If he suggests cosmetic contouring, expect a simple, one-visit treatment. Often, the dentist combines cosmetic contouring with composite resin bonding, which is an additive treatment, professional teeth whitening, porcelain veneers and more to create a completely rejuvenated smile.
Find out more
Learn the particulars of cosmetic contouring by contacting Browning Smile Design for a cosmetic dentistry consultation with our Northwest Houston, TX, dentist, Dr. Browning. Call (281) 370-4300, and look forward to your great new smile.
Has your bright smile grown progressively duller over the years? Teeth whitening treatment offers a quick, simple way to remove stains caused by foods, beverages or smoking. Our Northwest Houston, TX, dentist, Dr. Brent Browning, explains how the whitening process works.
Teeth whitening eliminates stains
Food and tobacco stains become embedded in small pores in your tooth enamel. No matter how often you brush, you'll never be able to remove the stains caused by foods or beverages that contain dark pigments, such as coffee, tea, red wine, cola, soy sauce, berries or tomato sauce.
Teeth whitening uses hydrogen peroxide to break apart the pigments lurking deep in your enamel. Once those pigments are gone, your teeth will be much brighter and whiter.
Home vs. professional whitening
You'll find plenty of products to whiten your teeth in the aisles of Northwest Houston drug and discount stores, from strips to trays to products you brush on your teeth. Unfortunately, these products can take a long time to work and may not produce the results you wanted. Professional whitening agents contain stronger formulations of hydrogen peroxide than drugstore kits and offer better, more consistent results
The whitening process
When you arrive for a Zoom! whitening session in our office, your gums and roots will be coated with a protective gel and you'll receive a pair of goggles which will protect your eyes. After the hydrogen peroxide gel is applied to your teeth, they'll be exposed to the Zoom! light. The light activates the hydrogen peroxide gel, which breaks apart the stains. Whitening is usually accomplished in three 15-minute sessions. At the end of your session, your teeth will be covered with a fluoride gel to help reduce sensitivity.
Zoom! offers long-lasting results
Your teeth may be as much as 10 shades whiter when you leave our office. You can maintain your results for years by avoiding foods and beverages that stain teeth and occasionally touching up your teeth with Nite White ACP, an at-home whitener that not only whitens teeth but also remineralizes your tooth enamel.
Ready to revitalize your smile with teeth whitening? Call our Northwest Houston, TX, dentist, Dr. Browning, at (281) 370-4300 to schedule an appointment.
Are your teeth crooked? Braces offer an effective way to improve your smile and your oral health. Our Northwest Houston, TX, dentist, Dr. Brent Browning, explains how you can benefit from orthodontic treatment and discusses several popular types of braces.
How can braces help my smile?
Braces improve the alignment of your teeth, eliminating bite problems and improving your appearance. No matter what type of braces you choose, the fundamentals are the same. Braces exert constant, gentle pressure on your teeth, which helps move them into the proper position.
Orthodontic treatment improves the way your teeth look but also corrects bite problems that can cause jaw pain, temporomandibular joint disorder, headaches, chewing problems and abnormal wear on your teeth. They're also effective in relieving crowding and closing gaps between teeth.
What types of braces are available?
Depending on the severity of your orthodontic issue and your preferences, one or more of these types of braces may be recommended:
- Metal Braces: This time-tested option is very effective in correcting alignment issues. The position of your teeth changes when wires threaded through metal brackets are adjusted at regular intervals. Although metal braces do an excellent job of correcting mild to severe orthodontic problems, some people find them unattractive.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces use clear or tooth-colored brackets paired with metal or clear wires. Ceramic braces are less obvious but not quite as durable as metal braces.
- Clear Braces: Clear braces have become a popular choice in Northwest Houston in recent years. They use a series of clear, removable aligner trays that fit over the top and bottom teeth. Each set of trays in the series is worn for two weeks before being replaced with a new set. Clear braces are removed for eating and oral hygiene and can even be taken out occasionally for special events. They're very effective in treating mild to moderate orthodontic issues, but aren't a good choice if you have a more complicated problem.
Improve your smile with orthodontic treatment. If you're interested in straightening your teeth with braces, call our Northwest Houston, TX, dentist, Dr. Browning, at (281) 370-4300 to schedule an appointment.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.